Adirondack Guide Boat handmade from wooden boat plans

| August 31, 2011 | 8 Comments

Last winter one of my friends showed me an Adirondack Guide Boat he was building in his basement. I just nodded, having seen many half finished ‘basement projects’ in friend’s basements, wooden boat plans being one of them.
Well this spring he finished his boat and it is looks just amazing.

adirondack guide boat

homemade adirondack guide boat made from wooden boat plans

According to Wikipedia, the Adirondack guide boat is just that , it’s a boat that was used in the Adirondacks by professional guides who had paying passengers, usually from New York City, who wanted to go hunting or fishing and they traveled up to the Adirondack region of upstate New York to do so.

The Adirondack Guide Boat looks a bit like a canoe but they’re have oars  and what’s really cool is that if  you are rowing the boat, and then let the oars rest in the water the boat won’t change direction.

underside and keel of homemade wooden boat

My friend built a classic Adirondack guide boat, these days according to Wikipedia, today they are made of Kevlar and fiberglass, but he was a purist and used all wood.

handmade interior of the wooden boat

It was really really cool to watch him build it.  I was wondering whether they would get the homemade boat out to of the basement when they were building it and when I first saw the boat half built, I was thinking ‘ what’s he doing here?’ but he did indeed build a  beautiful boat.

adirondack-guide-boat

layers of hull were hand cut

So I wanted share with you all some pictures of the finished Adirondack Guide Boat.  I have become really interested in boat building. My first home made boat is the one sheet plywood boat we made of how to video about. I’m very intrigued by these are small boats aka ‘micro boats’ that you can build out of 1-2  sheets of plywood. stay tuned for more plywood boats build by Eric.

homemade wooden boat

brass screws tie the bow together

Tags: , , , , ,

Category: Articles, DIY

1. Pat Murphy says:

That is one gorgeous boat!

hi pat, yes its a beautiful boat. i could not make this, but my friend is a very good carpenter.

3. Chris Woodward says:

I am sorry but I MUST take issue with your peice.This is not the work of a “purist” building a “classic” guideboat by any strech of the imagination. This boat is a modern fiberglass covered,wood strip replica of the real thing. This is not to disparage the builder for his efforts. First, he built a boat, something few people undertake, and far fewer finish, as you alluded to in your commentary. Secondly, the builder did a comendable job,although using what I would classify as a poor design. Don’t believe everything you read on Wikipedia; the entry on guideboats was written by an idiot who is the marketing agent for his boats.
    I am sorry for being so critical, however it is my mission to educate the public about Adirondack Guideboats. I am from here and build and restore them. Thanks, Chris Woodward

4. Bill says:

What fiberglass? I don’t see any fiberglass. I see wood. Lots of wood.

5. Charles Somelofski says:

Chris Woodward is absolutely correct. I just returned from the Wooden Boat School in Brooklin, Main. I took a 2 week course and we built 2-12′ Adirondack guideboats. Perhaps i’m a traditionalist but in the opinion of anyone studying Adirondack history, these boats are made of WOOD. Seasoned spruce or tamarack are used for the ribs and stems. Cedar or White pine for the planking. In my humble opinion, Kevlar or carbon fiber boats are guideboats in name only. I have built a wherry, 2 Rangeley guideboats and am currently working on a TRADITIONAL Adirondack guideboat. I’ve learned a lot from reading Chris Woodwards website and blogs.

Hi Charles, I think most readers agree that the classic Adirondack boat is made of wood, and can appreciate the classic beauty of them. The newer versions are not the same thing. thanks for taking the time to comment, eric.

7. Ben says:

What Chris and Charles are saying is that your friend did not build a guideboat in the traditional sense. He used the cedar strip method developed in the 1950s covered with a layer of fiberglass (The fiberglass is clear when impregnated with epoxy). It may be wood, but it is not the traditional technique. Still a nice boat

thanks for the info, it is a great boat, really nicely done. eric.