Learn how to cook with a pressure cooker in this GardenFork Cooks video. I cook recipes with a pressure cooker all time in the kitchen. Its perfect for last minute meals where you decide you want beans, but forgot to cook them ahead of time. People claim you can cook foods in 5 minutes, which isn't exactly true, but its a great kitchen tool.
One of my favorites is our how to cook with a pressure cooker pork roast recipe video. Its very popular because its so darn easy. And it makes you look like a genius when you have people over for dinner. Put in the pork, add beans if you like, some seasonings, maybe you did a dry rub to the pork before hand, and cook.
Tips when you cook with a pressure cooker:
- Pay attention to how much liquid you add. Your cooker should have a mark inside the rim showing the maximum liquid level. Don't go over that. The liquid could expand too much and clog the relief valve.
- Be sure the gasket and lid are clean after each use, you don't want any food debris to compromise the seal.
- Read the directions that come with the cooker. You don't usually read these, I know, but its important here, OK?
- If steam coming out of the pressure cooker is louder than a low hiss, turn down the heat.
- Most pressure cookers have a high pressure and low pressure setting, check the recipe to see which setting you should use.
Some people have a fear of cookers, which is understandable, but they are super safe. Modern day cookers have numerous relief systems in place, so cook on.
I wrote about how to buy a pressure cooker here. I own two cookers, and based this on my experience and what some of the leading food publications recommend.
Two of my favorite pressure cooker cookbooks are the Cooking Under Pressure series by Lorna Sass, they have great charts in them, plus recipes.
Watch all our pressure cooker recipe videos here.