This Porchetta recipe is a great use for a pork shoulder or pork butt. I fell hard for porchetta after having the porchetta sandwich at the amazing Porchetta restaurant in the East Village in NYC. Then I got Anne Burrell’s cookbook, Cook Like A Rockstar, and right there was a recipe for Porchetta. yum.
I like Anne Burrell, her book, and her approach to life; down to earth like GardenFork, no pretension, just being who she is.
We were recently at the Brooklyn Flea in Brooklyn, NY and Porchetta was selling pork sandwiches and they were awesome.
Our Porchetta Recipe is based on those that have come before us, like Porchetta’s recipe here, and Anne’s recipe in her cookbook.
We bought a deboned picnic shoulder from our local butcher for this recipe. You could remove the bone yourself, but your local butcher can do it in about 2 minutes, and its fun to watch too. We did not score the pork skin, but that is a classic method when making porchetta, it makes more of the skin crackling, if you know what I mean. We used a mix of white wine and chicken broth cooking the vegetables and basting the pork, but you can use what you got and it will be fine.
Porchetta, Roast Pork Shoulder Recipe
• 1 Pork Shoulder, deboned
• 1 cup chopped chives
• 3 stems fresh rosemary
• 1 cup chopped parsley
• 4 cloves garlic, mashed or fine chop
• 1/4 cup virgin olive oil
• 1 bottle white wine
• 1 cup chicken broth
• 1-2 quarts chopped root vegatables, onions, potatoes
1. Take the pork shoulder out of the fridge and allow it to come to room temperature for an hour.
2. Preheat the oven to 475F
3. Cut up the herbs, mix and mash together in a bowl with the olive oil, season with salt and pepper.
4. Roll open the pork shoulder, place the herb-oil mix in the meat, roll the shoulder up and tie with butcher\’s twine as best you can.
5. Chop up your root vegetables, carrots, sweet potatoes, onions, winter squash, parsnips, whatever you got, into bite size pieces and lay them in the bottom of a roasting pan. Add a bottle of white wine, you can also use red if that\’s what you got.
6. Lay the stuffed pork shoulder on the bed of vegetables, insert a meat thermometer.
7. Put in the oven at 475F for 30 minutes, then turn down the oven to 350F and cook until the center of the pork is 145F. this will depend on how large your pork shoulder is. Approx 1 – 1.5 hours.
8. Allow to rest for 30 minutes then carve and eat.
Have you made porchetta? what is your favorite pork shoulder recipe? let us know below!