Egg Recipe for Dinner, Toad In A Hole in an Outdoor Dutch Oven GF.TV

| October 3, 2011 | 20 Comments

Here’s an egg recipe from the UK that we cook in our dutch oven outdoors. You can cook this in your kitchen, but its more fun to use this egg recipe for fireplace cooking, outdoor cooking, or campfire cooking. Perfect for those urban homesteaders who want to take their cast iron outside, build a fire, and cook comfort food. We were introduced to this dish by our friends Barbara and Chris ( who are English ) and visit us at our CT house, and Chris made this for us one day. Toad in a Hole is a egg recipe for dinner, but I think its great for breakfast, especially after a night out imbiding.

I changed this up a bit from the standard by adding cheddar cheese, which seemed perfectly acceptable seeing that Cheddar Cheese is from England, and cheese tastes good with eggs already, so why not mix them into the recipe?

I make this recipe in a dutch oven, and its super fun to bake the Toad In A Hole outdoors. In the cooking video, we used charcoal to heat the cast iron dutch oven, but you can make this in a fireplace or in a campfire as well.

egg recipe for dinnerEric’s Toad In A Hole Recipe

this recipe mixes sausages and what is called a yorkshire pudding, which is basically flour and eggs and milk, to make a puffy dough that surrounds the sausages.

4 sausages sliced in two and then halved.  I used sweet italian sausage from our local butcher, but most any sausage you like will work.

1 cup of flour – all purpose works fine, but use what you’ve got.

1 tablespoon coarse salt

Herbs of your choice, rosemary, chives, oregano, tarragon, whatever you have and like, chopped coarsely

1 cup milk

3 eggs – i’m a big fan of local eggs, so try to get some, help out your local farmers.

2 – 3 tablespoons of good mustard, brown, spicy, deli – whatever you like.

1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese

Fire: This recipe takes about a chimney starter full of charcoal. we used about 10 charcoal briquettes on the bottom of the cast iron to start the cooking. if you are cooking this in a fireplace or campfire, be careful not to get the dutch oven too hot.

Take the sausages that have been cut in half and then sliced open lengthways and put them in the dutch oven to brown.

While the sausaged are browning, take the other charcoal or wood coals and pile some on the lid of the dutch oven to preheat it.

Beat the 3 eggs together, then to it the flour and salt and milk and herbs.

When the sausages are browned on both sides, pour the egg batter mixture into the dutch oven and cover.

Place more coals on top of the dutch oven and bake for 30 minutes. If it smells like it is burning, open the cover and check. you may have to move the dutch oven to a cooler part of the fire, or remove some briquettes.

The dish is done when the batter is yellow with brown patches, you will know when its done. It will smell great.

©2011 all rights reserved Eric Rochow

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Category: Cooking TV, Video

Sites That Link to this Post

1. Cast Iron Cooking Outdoors with Charcoal | November 27, 2012
  1. Tonia Moxley says:

A little HP sauce on it is great. I love the addition of cheese. I’m going to do some tonight with local bratwurst!

2. admin says:

wow. that’s great idea with the HP and what’s not to like about bratwurst! eric.

3. Beth says:

Made it tonight with brats. Yummm! Thanks for sharing the recipe! :-)

4. Raven says:

Hollandaise sauce would be wonderful over the top and served with a nice salad.

5. Tim says:

Looks like a fun camping meal. I’m wondering about the rosemary. Aren’t those big “needles” kind of hard to chew in the finished product?

6. Barb says:

Looks great! Can’t wait to try it. Please do more outdoor cooking recipes.

working on some fireplace cooking ideas for this fall. stay tuned. eric.

8. JustMe says:

Looks great, however, being a germaphobe, could you please wash your hands after you play with the dog before you touch food. We all have our idiosyncracies! Enjoy your videos!

9. DannnnnnnnnY says:

hiii i am 16 years old and ur video is awesome!! thanks for teach me so many things :)

10. Chris says:

Eric, what size pan were you using in the video and if I were to cook this on a camping stove, what temp would you guess it should be at? Thanks!

11. admin says:

@chris, that is about a 9″ dutch oven i was using, as for temp, its a bit of a coin toss for a camp stove, you’ll have to check it as you go along, thanks, eri c

12. JL says:

Reminds me of when I made pineapple upside down cake in coffee cans in girl scouts over the campfire. I think that pan would be really suited to that recipe; would make a really crispy crust to the cake. You put the pineapple rings or chunks in the bottom, then cake batter on top, and then flip.

13. Good post. I’m dealing with a few of these issues as well..

14. lovely says:

Nice blog here! Additionally your site loads up very fast!

What host are you the usage of? Can I get your associate hyperlink in your host?
    I want my site loaded up as fast as yours lol

15. content says:

Enjoyable read, I changed template on my site and then the search rankings took
    a massive fall
    I have added you in my weekly website bookmarks, keep up the good work

16. xc567.com says:

NDS lovers and gamers can go one step further that can use them for browsing pictures and
    reading e-books on their Nintendo DS or Nintendo DS Lite.
    He is seen pulling himself on to a legde, ala Sonic Adventure 2.
    You’ll need to do specific searches on your own favorite internet search engine for SNESDS
    (a word) and you will get the official snes – DS website,
    which you could always download the most recent version of
    the emulator.

17. ฉัน ผม ไม่แน่ใจว่าที่ คุณ คุณ ได้รับ ของคุณ ข้อมูล แต่ ดี หัวข้อ ฉัน ต้อง ใช้เวลาเรียนรู้ มากขึ้น มากขึ้น หรือ การทำความเข้าใจ มากขึ้น
    ขอบคุณสำหรับ เลิศ ข้อมูล
    ฉัน กำลังมองหา นี้ ข้อมูล สำหรับภารกิจ
    ของฉัน .

18. Ute says:

Marrakchi people love to riad marrakech cheap rent visit.
    Create Wonderful Memories with Costa Rica VacationsWhen summer
    comes around, people think of their favorite vacation spot, usually a place with
    exotic natural beauty? The problem is formidable and there is
    a range of budget riad marrakech cheap rent tours of Morocco that you shouldn’t miss.

Large number of tourists visit the country without a visa, and some.
    Lunches handed down from their fore fathers. One of the more popular destinations, you will never ran out
    of water 90 minutes ago.

19. Right away I am going away to do my breakfast, afterward having my breakfast coming again to read more
    news.