Learn how to deep fry turkey in this GardenFork.TV cooking video. We received a bunch of requests to make a video about how to make deep fried turkey, so just in time for Thanksgiving, here is the our simple method for deep frying turkey. We bought our Turkey Deep Fryer Kit on Amazon here
[social type="fblike" float="right"]
There are a bunch of precautions when using a deep fryer, remember, the oil is real HOT and can burn you.
- Wear long sleeves and heavy gloves
- Turn off the burner when lowering or raising the turkey
- Defrost the turkey fully
- Keep a fire extinguisher nearby
- Slowly lower the turkey into the hot oil, takes 1-2 minutes to fully immerse the turkey
- Make sure the oil temperature thermometer is not accidentally stuck in the turkey itself. You want to use the large round dial thermometer that comes with your deep fryer kit to measure the oil temperature.
- Do not let the oil go above 350F, bad things can happen, like spontaneous combustion, not a good thing.
- Follow all safety rules that come with the turkey deep fryer kit
The secret to great deep fried turkey is temperature, you want cook the breast to 145F, then turn off the burner, lift out the turkey, drain and let it rest for 20 minutes. It will continue to cook a bit. I've found that if you cook the turkey past the 145F mark, it tastes dry and crumbly.
[box bg="#FFCC33" color="#000000"]Be extremely careful when using a deep fryer! Hot oil will burn your skin. Follow all directions and precautions that come with you deep fryer.[/box]
We could go into the science of protein strands tightening up when they are heated too much, but we'll leave that to America's Test Kitchen. Just remember to check the temperature after about 25 minutes in the thick part of the breast.
Here is where we bought out deep fried turkey kit: