I am famous for this kind of thing. Its always when I hear the clunk of some foreign object bouncing around the clothes dryer that I realize I've done something un-smart.
This time I discovered the problem early. I learned I had put my two best largest USB Flash Thumb drives in the washing machine when I was emptying the washer.
I was not pleased. One of the drives is a 16 gig flash drive that I use to transport GF video files around. And there might be a bunch of photos from our Canon EOS Rebel that don't exist anywhere else on that drive.
After getting over the initial 'Doh!' moment, I remembered a NY Times article on what do to for electronic gadget emergencies. The article suggested putting the flash drives in a bowl and covering them with rice. ( I can't find the article online right now, so no link )
So I did this. I used brown rice, as that's what we had in the cabinet. Don't cook and/or eat this rice afterward.
I let it sit for a few days, and then plugged the drives into a laptop.
They both turned on. wow.
Every once in a while the wind tilts in your direction.
Have any Doh! stories of your own? tell us here: