Take our chocolate cake recipe, add chocolate chips and chocolate icing, and make a triple chocolate cake! Based on comments viewers made to our original simple chocolate cake video, we added a few things to amp up the cake, and it tastes amazing.
I love this cake for its simplicity. But then, I love making everything as simple as possible, life is complicated enough as it is. So with a few additions, you can amp up the decadence of the chocolate cake and it still takes almost no time to make.
Snooki said in her comment that her family makes a similar chocolate cake recipe and adds chocolate chips across the top of the batter, so we did that. Simple and done. You could mix the chips into the batter, but this cake doesn't need it. I like how the chocolate chip layer is on the top. If you wanted to switch it up a little, you could use white chocolate chips, or peanut butter chips. Either one would be a great addition.
Cathy suggested the chocolate icing or glaze. ( Not sure if its called icing or a glaze, let me know your thoughts below ) Take a half stick of butter, melt it, add in cocoa and powdered sugar and spread across the top of the cake. You could do this just before serving, but I like to do it beforehand and let the glaze settle into the cake a bit. I like the word unctuous, and it fits here really well. Now while writing this i want some cake, and its not even lunchtime yet.
Do you guys make a cake like this? Let me know in the comments below, we can make a third and fourth version of this going forward
Check out our original simple chocolate cake recipe video here.
Triple Chocolate Cake Recipe - GardenFork.TV
• 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
• 1 cup sugar
• ½ teaspoon salt
• 3 tablespoons cocoa
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• ¾ cup veg oil
• ¾ cup water
• 1 tablespoon vinegar
• 1 cup chocolate chips
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
1. This is based on our simple chocolate cake recipe, amped up with more chocolate
2. Heat Oven to 350F
3. Put all the dry ingredients in an 8 x 8 or 9 x 9 pan.
4. Mix together well, using a whisk or fork if you like
5. Make a well or hole in the middle of the dry ingredients
6. Add the wet ingredients in to the well.
7. Mix the wet into the dry until it looks like chocolate cake batter
8. Smooth the top of the batter, and scatter across the top the chocolate chips
9. Bake on the middle rack of the oven. Check at 25 minutes, you want it moist, not dry.
10. In our oven, this bakes in 30 minutes, a convection oven may be faster.
11. Mix up the chocolate icing recipe, pour across the cake, and let it cool.
Simple Chocolate Icing
• ½ stick - 4 ozs butter
• 2 teaspoons cocoa
• ¼ cup milk
• 1 cup powdered sugar
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
1. This icing was suggested by one of our viewers, and its great on chocolate cake
2. Melt the butter in a small saucepan.
3. Turn off heat and add milk.
4. Stir in cocoa
5. Add in powedered sugar
6. Mix well and then spread over the cake.
7. Smooth it out if you want and allow cake to cool.
Great cake. My son and I made it tonight and it was so simple. The only problem is we can't stop eating it. Love the labers.
Eric Gunnar Rochow
It's hard to step away from the cake, isn't it? eric.