Brick Pizza Oven Plans Video GF TV

| January 15, 2012 | 36 Comments

Portable Backyard Brick Oven DIY style! Use these pizza oven plans in your backyard with recycled used clay bricks and a recycled metal mattress frame. And the pizza oven is portable! You can assemble this in 20 minutes, make homemade pizzas, then take it apart and store it. Most backyard ovens are big and permanent, this homemade brick oven is great because its easy to break down again until your next pizza baking party.

Our backyard pizza oven is based on one in the book Bread , Earth, & Fire by Stuart Silverstein. Stuart’s book has a bunch of plans and info on building backyard ovens, go buy it here. it is available as an ebook or paperback. Read Stuart’s blog here.

For our pizza dough recipe, click here.

Here are the pizza oven plans shown in photos, our oven uses used clay brick and 24″ angle iron we cut from a old bed frame. You have to heat up the oven for an hour to get it up to temperature. The brick pizza oven has to be on sturdy sawhorses or cement blocks. We used cement tile board to insulate the plywood table from the heat of the brick oven. Stuart, author of the Bread Oven book, emailed us, cautioning that he felt the 2 layers of cement tile board was not enough insulation to keep the plywood from scorching, he suggests a base of cement, as shown on his blog here.

Clean the bricks that will be used for the floor of the oven, that’s where your pizza dough will be sitting. We didn’t have a thermometer, but I’m told the floor of the brick oven can reach 700F. We also found its good to keep some of the coals in the front part of the oven, so the heat is more even. We had to turn the pizza once during baking to have it cook evenly.

I have a few ideas for more modifications, which we will post later on. Keep children and animals away from this and all fires, this is for adults.

base of pizza oven

building walls of pizza oven

pizza oven roof using angle iron

Backyard Brick Pizza Oven

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Category: Cooking TV, DIY TV, Video

1. Randy says:

Ok, Eric, that officially rocks. I’ve put off this project for years. Now I’m thinking of all sorts of variations of this design, like piling more brick or sand on this design to make a less portable but still not permanent version. I worry that this design might not have enough thermal mass to bake bread, though for pizza it’s obviously fine. Thanks for yet another video that will make my wife shake her head when I try a similar project.

2. Dennis says:

I’m with Randy…. I was thinking of a way to put a chimney out the back by removing 1 brick and using some duct piping and pushing the smoke away from the front. Thank you Eric!!!

3. Gfr_mike says:

I imagine someday someone will recycle this brick and there will be a building with a room or multiple rooms that inexplicably smell like pizza

thanks randy, let me know what variations you do, take pictures for us! eric.

a chimney might help. i’m no expert, but i think the diameter of the pipe should be 3-4″ to keep the heat in. thx! eric.

6. Sandy says:

What was that pizza dough recipe?

7. Tim Lewallen says:

Great job as always! I plan on putting a wood fired oven into my next shop. Hopefully this summer!

8. Randy says:

I’m thinking no chimney, but more mass – making an oven you use after the coals are swept out, and a plywood or planking door… I do have a pile of 90-year old clay brick over at my rental house…..maybe a plywood outer box 6 inches or so larger than the brick, filled w/sand. Still pretty portable if one tires of the oven or needs to relocate. My head hurts. Too many ideas for a snowy holiday morning.

the pizza dough recipe is on our site, the link is in the post above, here it is again: http://www.gardenfork.tv/how-to-make-pizza-dough-and-bake-pizza

10. Willard Wood says:

Eric: super cool! and the dogs never knocked the oven over! Kudos -W.

11. Heart inWisconsin says:

Love the video. Is it ok to put the pizza directly on the old brick? I’m just curious if there should be baking stone or something in there. Just in case your bricks used to be in an usavory place.

12. Kris Watson says:

Here’s the one I built two years ago. Been using it frequently. Even finished the Thanksgiving turkey in it. Technically, it is portable…but not by a 60-year old grandmother with a bad back!

13. Don&Lois Rochow says:

Eric***Another great job done by a ROCHOW proud to say your my nephew.
    Keep up the good work. Now that you cut up your bed frame does that mean that your sleeping on the floor with hounds? Three cheers for the Rochow’s.
    Don&Lois

14. Ivan says:

Eric, I think i’m going to do this at somepoint in the next few weeks. 2 mods I think I might make are one using quarry tile for the pizza stone and, as mentioned before, a chimney in the back. Really looks cool. Thanks!

15. Andi Strong says:

Eric,

Wonderful idea! I heard you and Mike talking about also using the oven for baking bread by increasing the mass and adding a wooden door. Where does the smoke go? Do you need to create a chimney? Love Garden Fork! Thanks, Andi

16. Mike Freeman says:

Wooow…I’m soooo gonna make this come spring!

17. makis says:

Wow thats a pizza oven! I’ve been thinking about dry fitting but didn’t know how to build it. Thanks man!
    What are the dimensions of the oven?
    For opimisation:
    - a chimney on the front (see most italian ovens)
    - insulation under the floor (vermicrete or perlicrete for cheap about 6 inches),
    around and on top (DIY vermicrete blocks weight is half that of a concrete block)
    Have a good time!

18. Tonia Moxley says:

I wonder if one brick were left out of the back course of the roof, if that would make a little chimney to even out the heat and keep smoke from rolling out of the front.

19. Steven Spahr says:

I was wondering how this oven holds up in the wind. I live in a rather windy area. I am concerned that swirlling winds will pick up hot embers causing a fire danger, let alone a mess. Any thoughts?

20. admin says:

@steven, can’t really address how it does in wind, we don’t have high winds here on regular basis. be careful, thx, eric.

21. John Hickey says:

Just got hold of an old bed frame, now to find some fire brick and build this brick oven. I do hope to eventually construct a permanent brick oven, probably following the Alan Scott design.

Thanks for the video and info on this small scale brick oven.

22. John Vaughters says:

Eric, this looks really cool. We’re thinking about building one for a mothers day gift. I’m in Japan, so it’s a bit harder to find bed frames here. What are your thoughts on using a single large piece of sheet metal as a base for the top bricks?

Thanks for a great project. Looking forward to browsing more of your blog.

23. Evan Beckwith says:

That’s what I like quick and easy and easily moved. Not sure how many days it would last in Christchurch New Zealand. Still having aftershocks. Only three yesterday, largest a magnitude four.

24. Daniel Siegel says:

Eric, You inspired me to make one of these. I made a few modifications, like a lower edge to the top of the front of the oven to help keep the heat in. And a chimney to direct the smoke and flame. I used new firebrick for the floor but used clay brick for the rest. It’s working out great and I plan to leave it in place for a good while. I keep it covered with a tarp when not in use. Thank you so much for the info/video/and inspiration… You can see it at: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,24207.0.html

i’m looking at my stack of bricks and thinking pizza in the near future for us. thanks for the link too, eric.

26. Alisa says:

What a great tutorial! We made it right away. Thanks for a great website!

Here is a picture of the oven:

Here is a picture of a door I made with more scraps:

Here is a picture of yummy pizza made in the oven:

27. Maddie says:

Hi Eric,

I can’t wait to build this oven. I will buy firebrick for the floor and clay for the rest. I am counting 94 bricks not 96, am I correct? Do you have any modifications on the oven yet? Thanks

28. Louis says:

Love the idea but im a little concerned about the angle iron–What kind of steel is preffered? An online search of angle iron at LOwes, HD, gives me “galvanized steel” and Aluminum angle iron….Can those a) take the heat, and b)are they really safe to heat 10 ~1000F? As far as I know, galvanized steel should NOT be heated like that, as it can produce toxic fumes….IS your bed frame steel different? (I dont have extra bed frames lying around, or a saw to cut them)/
    CHeers,
    Louis

29. Kaylene says:

While sօme of these SEO services are effeϲtive, others
    run a sbady game. Yߋu see, SEO copywriting isn’t a mythical beast; it’ѕ just plain, straightforward
    writing. The bots often spider web (the most widely սsed of these).

30. Brook says:

This seemed odԁ to me so I decided to look further іnto the
    matter and write an article about what I found. 8 million and rοb lives of at least 76 peoρle and
    caused a dozen of others injured. A website which is on the first page of a leading search engine is preferred and normally judged above
    the others.