Pizza Oven Photos from John

| January 27, 2012 | 10 Comments

After watching our brick oven pizza video, John in Arizona sent us these photos of his DIY brick oven. Much like our brick oven design, it uses brick and angle iron. I forgot to ask John where he got his angle iron from. I like that the brick oven fits nicely right next to his propane grill, right off the patio, all set for cooking.

“My wife and I love your show. We put this together and wanted you and your wife to see it”

Cool! This is the second set of pictures I’ve got from a viewer. A big thank you to John for sending these. love it. See the link at the bottom of this post for links to other pizza and bread oven photos.

John tried out his oven with a pizza stone, and I’ve talked with a few people who have tried this method, its much better to just slide the pizza right onto the hot bricks. The bricks are about 700F, so its pretty sterile. And bricks are made out of clay, which is what pottery is made out of, so i’m thinking its pretty safe to do.

Here are other viewer pizza and bread oven photos

Love that roaring fire in the photo there, and the pizzas have a smokey hint to them when using wood. Do you have a backyard oven? send us photos or a link to your site, thanks!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

Category: Articles, DIY

1. meemsnyc says:

Wow, what a simple and cool idea. These are just regular old bricks you buy at the hardware store?

2. Kyle Meyer says:

I don’t know if anyone responded to your question meemsnyc but they need to be clay bricks. I can’t find them at my big box store but you may be able to find some on sharing websites..

3. Lee says:

I don’t like the fact that the bricks are just balanced on edge on each other, if someone bumps it hot bricks and fire could be everywhere. Please look into making something more substantial using mortar, for your safety and those around you, too!

4. J Kim says:

Whats the Silver rod thing with holes supporting the bricks?

@J Kim, that’s piece of angle iron holding up the brick roof. if you watch our How To Build a Pizza Oven video, you’ll see how it is assembled : http://www.gardenfork.tv/brick-pizza-oven-video-and-plans-gf-tv thx, eric.

6. Crystal D. says:

This is great! We have been really wanting one of these and I was pretty sure there must be an easier way. Thank you for all the tips. I can’t wait to try it!

7. Alec Popivker says:

What did you use under the clay bricks for support? Did you insulate below? Thanks!

8. chris says:

I want to try this..does it have to be made of ALL clay brick or can I just use clay brick for the lower section where the pizza sits on while baking? All I’m finding is cement bricks.

you need clay brick for this to work, cement brick will fall apart. thx! eric.

i used two pieced of tile cement board, aka Durock, below the bricks. thx! eric.